Recent Posts

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Work at All The Things! Countdown to the Weekend

Have you ever had a time where you had so many things going on that you just want to give up and have a nap with all the blankets and pillows, make yourself into a human burrito, and forget about everything until it goes away?

Two days, and i can rest. 23 days, and i get a long week of rest.

By all means, i dont want to skip my friend's wedding, but working a large cake and cookies around two jobs, especially when one has become extra demanding and stressful, and trying to keep clean at home (with 5 birds and two cats, cant really afford to not vacuum or clean less than every other day), you have a recipe for exhaustion. I am so tired. Oh, throw some running into there too. I am on week 2 of my c2-5k plan. I go out about three times a week for a half hour. It alternates between jogging and walking to prep you for a 5k! Since i think im doing two this year, i might as well try to run a little.



Check out all of my flowers! I air brushed them on monday night. They are on top of my fridge drying until saturday. I have about 10 punds of frosting in my fridge, along with the cake. Seriously. I wish i saved the snapchat of it. I have this big red bowl, it is maybe 16" in diameter. I could not fit the frosting in my kitchenaid mixer, so i had to add the last couple cups of powdered sugar and mix by hand. If it makes any sense, i used 3 cups butter, 3 cups vegetable shortening, and about 22 cups of powdered sugar. Maybe 23 or 24, i might have lost track. Oh, and some milk. That is one massive amount of frosting.



Here is a half way point of my cookies, too. I spent about 5 hours on them on tuesday. Flood icing. It makes everything look pretty. It also takes some time. If you are going to attempt it, give yourself the day to work. I had to work a short shift to clean my store, but i am always working. Its an easy recipe, too:

Flood icing (for fancy sugar cookies)
1 cup powdered sugar
1+ tbsp milk
1 tbsp corn syrup
Drop of lemon juice
Any food coloring

If you can, sift your powdered sugar to remove lumps. Combine yout ingredients, starting with 1 tbsp milk, minus the food coloring. Whisk well, especially if you did not sift. If needed, add additional milk by the teaspoon. You want it to be somewhat thick first, so you can outline the cookies. Then to fill, add a little more milk by the teaspoon. You dont want super runny, because it will just make a mess. I use a tiny spoon to fill, sometimes a toothpick to spread it into the corners. Like i said, it just takes time. Once you get good, you can do all sorts of fancy decor with this icing.



So, my cookies are done. Flowers are good. Cake is about 60%. I am going to try to crumb coat it tonight, and then frost it tomorrow when i get to the reception place to drop it off. Saturday morning i will add the flowers, and saturday afternoon....wedding! Huzzah!

And then i get food. Lol. Actually, i might paint something together quick as a gift, too. Becausw pinterest has cool stuff, and i can make things myself for a fraction of the cost.



Dat peanut butter frosting doe.

And....its also super easy. Not super sweet, just fukl of fantastic peanut butter goodness. I can even give you that recipe!

Peanut Butter Frosting

1/2 c butter, softened
1c peanut butter
2c powdered sugar
1-2 tbsp milk

Blend peanut butter and butter together. Add powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Add milk a little at a time until desired consistency is reached. Apply to cupcakes, cakes, or directly to your face.

I would eat a bowl of this if someone told me to and not even question anything. Hands down.

Alright, i am finishing up at work. I will have more pictures after the wedding. Enjoy the weekend, thanks for reading!


posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment